Articles and essays on the Arts
1. Couturier's Vision - Joanna Weber- Faith and Form, Spring 1990:38-41.
2. Creative Arts and Christian Renewal- the Critic,Aug-Sept 1967:11-55
Sex, Symbolism and Modern Literature
The Artist As Communicator
The Tension between Art and Faith
Making Christianity relevant through the Arts The Hand of the Creator
An Artist Hits Back
3. Contrasts: The Arts and Religion - Alec Robertson. SCM Press Ltd: London
4. Art and Religion: Faith, Form and Reform- 1984 Paine Lectures on Religion.
Thomas F. Mathews, John W. Cook, Jonathan Brown. University of Missouri-
5. Michaelangelo - from the Critic. Spring 1976:13-29.
6. Monks Pond and the Slough of Despond - Madeline De Frees. The Critic
7. Alas, the State of Religious Art - John Deedy interviews John Manship
8. An Unlikely Christian Art by Jean Morman Unsworth; the Critic. Spring
9. Art and the Changing World - Dorothea Blom. Pendle Hill Pamphlets#183.
Wallingford, Pa. Pendle Hill Publication, 1972
10. Art, Imagery and the Mythic Process - Dorothea Blom. Pendle Hill Pamphlets#215.Wallingford,
Pa. Pendle Hill Publication, 1977.
11. Langer, Susanne Katherina Knauth. Reflections on art : a source book
of writings by artists, critics, and philosophers. excerpt:Time in the Plastic
Arts - Etienne Souriau. New York : Oxford University Press, 1961.
12. Shakespeare, the Bible and Grace - Arthur Farstad. Journal of the
Grace Evangelical Society, Spring,1991:47-63.
13. Jesus and Emily - the Biblical roots of Emily Dickenson's Poetry - Arthur
Farstad.Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society, Fll,1992:45-57.
14. The New Transcendance - Francine Koslow Miller. from Faith and Form,
15. Proclaim the Mystery. article from Faith and Form, Fall 1992:25-26.
Articles from FAITH AND FORM:
JOURNAL OF THE INTERFAITH FORUM ON RELIGION, ART AND ARCHITECTURE
1. Twentieth century patrons of the spiritual in Art-
Diane Apostolos-Cappadona. Sp. 1991:19-21
2.Where Art and Faith Meet- Roger Hazelton. Sp.1980:7-9
3. Art in the Secular Community- Bartlett Hayes, Jr. F 1980:26-29.
4. Art and Architecture in the religious community- John Dillenberger.
5. The Architect as Theologian- Rev. F. Thomas Trotter. Sp 1978:10-11.
6. Religion and the sensibilities of the artist- John Dillenberger. Sp.1979:
7. Religious Art Awards 1976. F 1976
8. Stained Glass: a Dialogue. April 1968:12-14
9. The Traditional and the Novel: a Creative Tension- Roger Ortmayer. ?
10. His Works reflected in Many Ways- Una Hanbury. Jan.1969:15-19
11. Symposium: the Future Role of Art and Architecture in an increasingly
secular World- Rev. Henry Gracz. Sp 1972:18-20
12. 1972 Religious Arts jury. F 1972
13. Return of the Artist- Susan Glyn. Sp 1974
14. 1974 Religious Arts Exhibition. F 1974.
15. Art in Architecture: Synthesis, Juxtaposition, Integration-
Kenneth von Roemm. F 1983:6-10.
16. Kitsch in Art and Ritual- Edward Robinson. F 1984:21-23.
17. Believing is Seeing- Robert E. Rambusch. Sp.1985:12-13.
18. Art and Liturgy: Cooperation or Contradiction? -Margaret R. Miles.
19. The Reassertion of the Spiritual- Terrence E. Dempsey, S.J. Sp 1987:17-19.
20. Contemporary Sculpture as a Liturgical Art Form- Jeanne Rymer.
21. The Spiritual in Art- Jane Dillenberger. F 1987:18-20.
22. Commonplace images and extraordinary meaning- Richard A.
Underwood( a review of Art and Architecture by Paul Tillich).
23. What Art is suitable for Liturgy?- G. Thomas Ryan.F 1986:14-15.
24. Calvin, Architecture and the Reformed Tradition. Sp.1986:34-36.
Miscellaneous Arts articles from various sources
Baron, Gerald. "A Crisis Encounter: Can Art Make it Happen?" Christianity
Today, ^ June,1980:
Beckett,Wendy. "Contemporary Art". Third Way, September 1990:6-8
Brown, Lee B. "Traditional Aesthetics Revisited". Journal of Aesthetics
and Art Criticism. Vol 29#3, Spring 1971:343-352.
Dillenberger, John. "The Diversity of Disciplines as a Theological
Question: the Visual Arts as Paradigm". Journal of the American Academy
of Religion, XLVIII/2. 233-243.
Dixon,John W, Jr. "The Christology of Michaelangelo: The Sistine Chapel".
Journal of the American Academy of Religion, LV/3: 503-533.
Gasque, Laurel. "Hans Rookmaaker:A Biography- a review article".
Jensen, Mike. "Misconceptions about Christian Art".---??
McCaslin, Susan. " Theology and the Arts: Inspiration and symbolic
Speaking" CRUX June 1979:15-19
Norman, Edward. "Christian Music A Modern Dilemma". CRUX Vol 28#2:
Pattenden, Rod. " Exploring the Arts in the Church (or a brush with
God)"Radix vol 21#4 Jubal:19-21,31.
Phillipart, David, ed. "Artists speak to the Churches" Faith and
form, Fall 1993:33
Prigent, Pierre, trans. by Ron Grove. "On the Correct use of images
in the ancient church"
The Sacred Art Journal June 1992 (vol 13 no. 2): 49-57.
Roberts, Anne. "The Spirit and the Flesh". (Eric Gill retrospective
exhibition). Third Way Feb 1993:6-8.
Shaw, Luci. "Taming the Wilderness:The relationship between order,
chaos, poetry and God". Third Way, Dec/Jan 1991-92:6-9. reprinted in
several other journals.
Third Way. "The Pre-Raphaelites". review of exhibition at Tate
Gallery. Third Way, April 1984:19.
Third Way. "Discerning the Spirits- Abstract Art and Mysticism".
Third Way, December 1987:1820.
Third Way. "Icons- A marriage of Heaven and Earth". Third Way.
Yates, Wilson. "Theological Education and the Arts: A Time for Integration"Faith
and Form Winter 1989-90,:35-37
Walsh, Chad. "The Literary Stature of C. S. Lewis". Christianity
Today, June 8, 1979:21-23
Westerhoff, John F. "Architecture as a Calling" Faith and Form,
Winter 1989-90: 38-40.
"Christians' Resposibilities in the Arts "- Nicholas P. Barker-
paper presented for tenure at Covenant college, Chattanooga, Tn. 1969; typescript,
from The Principles of Christian Art - Percy Gardner. London:John Murray,
"The Gospel, the Arts and our Culture" - Jeremy Begbie from
The Gospel and Contemporary Culture - Hugh Montefiore, ed. London:Mowbray,
"An Evolving Tradition: Listening to the Artists" - Janet R. Walton.
Wilmington, De.:Michael Glazier, 1988.
Symbols of the Church - Whittemore and Duncan. Boston, Ma.
Wallingford, Pa., Pendle Hill Publications, 1963.
The Prophetic Element in Modern Art - Dorothea Blom. Pendle Hill Pamphlets
# ???. Wallingford, Pa. Pendle Hill Publications, Sept. 1966.
Art Responds to the Bible - Dorothea Blom.Pendle Hill Pamphlets#197.Wallingford,
Pa. Pendle Hill Publications, 1974.
The Holiness of Beauty - John F. Butler. London: Epworth Press. 1961.
Paul Tillich on the Philosophy of Art-Charles W. Kegley. Journal of Aesthetics
and Art Criticism 19 (1960) pp. 175-184.
Art: temptation to Sin or Testimony of Grace? Calvin Seerveld. Christianity
Today 3 Dec 1965. pp.7-9.
Comic Relief to Christian Art- Calvin Seerveld. Christianity Today 1 March
Articles from RADIX
1. Christians in a post modern world- Os Guiness Vol.2
2. Message art versus Art for Art's Sake- Jeffrey Hill. March /April 1981,
3. Christians in the Visual Arts- Jeff Roy. Sept/ Oct 1980, pp.17-18
4. Creativity and the Christian Artist- William Dyrness. March/April 1982,
5. Crying for a vision: Modern Art and the Christian Artist- Steve Scott.
6. Art, Action and Revival- David Fetcho. Summer 1985 p.16
7. Interview with Leland Ryken on Art Creativity and Grace- Peter Crescenti.
8. Creativity, Freedom and the Gospel- David Millikan. Vol.18/2 p. 3
9. Interview with David Millikan Vol 18/2, pp. 4-7.
10. the Dark Side of Horror Movies and the Christian-Woody Minor. Vol.18/2,
11. Art, Missions and Incarnation- Steve Scott. Vol.18/2. pp. 12.
12. The Spiritual in Art- Laurel Gasque. vol.18/2. pp. 22-23.
13. Learning to Believe again: artists talk about their art and their Faith.
14. I'm too busy to read Poetry- interview with Eugene Peterson. Vol. 19
15. Is there such a thing as Sacred Space?- David Fetcho. Vol 20/2.
16. Imagery:Seeing the Unseeable- Luci Shaw. Sept/Oct. 1981
17. Eric Gill: a Centenary Remembrance- Laurel Gasque. Vol. 13/5. pp. 3-8